Author Topic: Paradise goes to LONDON!  (Read 77891 times)

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
Re: Paradise goes to LONDON!
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »
I had long arguments with myself who I dislike the most: Pats or Girls?? That was a tough one.... in the end I decided for Pats  :D

Anyway, back to London:
It was pretty special to see all these different NFL jerseys all over the place. We stayed at a hotel in the Wembley area and it seemed as if the whole place were taken over by the NFL. Lots of 49er fans too. I was afraid that the recent 5 year slump had meant that we were a race close to extinction but that didn't seem to be the case at all.

I think Wembley normally holds 90.000 people. Why they said sold out at 83.000 I don't know.

Biggest place I ever went to is Camp Nou in Barcelona which sells out at 98.000 - Wembley seemed more impressive though.

Coolest stadium I've seen? That's gotta be Allianz Arena in Munich. As with the Jets and Giants it's home field for two teams and the whole stadium lights up in the home teams color depending which of the team is playing - looks totally awesome at night!

When do they announce who is playing in London next year? Can't wait to go again!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:46:36 AM by hojer49 »
Success is temporary, loyalty is forever.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »
When do they announce who is playing in London next year? Can't wait to go again!

I believe they are expected to make the decision during Super Bowl week like last year.

The reduced attendance number was (at least partly) due to the huge banners along both sidelines

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
yeah, your right grid, it was the banners, plus the ludicrous 'club wembley' seats - if you're a member, you get offered the same seat in the club wembley area, for every event they have there, and its your choice to pay for it (at a reduced rate), or give it up - the only problem is, is that when they become available to normal fans, the price for those seats is about double that of other seats!  and its also the area where lots of companies do hospitality, so you end up with a load of suits going to a game, who dont come out for the second half straight away (they get free food/drink at half time, so they stay consuming that rather than coming back out to the seats in time), and theres no atmosphere in the seats around you (so you have a great view, but a poorer experience overall)
The capacity is around 90k, but because of the above, its yet to be a 'true' sellout I believe :(  Blasted corporate killjoys!

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »
I guess that would be on the 2nd. level at Wembley? Where I was sitting actually! :)

Seats with cushions (polstered?) and cupholders for me beer! Just 10 steps up the stairs to get a new beer, no lines, lot's of OK food. I kinda liked it.  :D
Success is temporary, loyalty is forever.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 02:40:26 AM »
I think there was a "Club Wembley"-level above where we were both sitting, hojer  ;)

The prize was 250 £ (or something like that) to get access there!

D-roc

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »

Anybody know where they held their training sessions?

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2008, 08:57:38 AM »
they trained midweek at Arsenals training ground when they arrived, but moved onto the Grove in Hertfordshire I think - they stayed at the Grove (its a mansion converted into a hotel, and has a posh golf course and other facilities there) for the duration of their stay over here (the saints that is).  Not sure about the chargers - chelseas training facilities I think - that and the arsenal one were the two used by the giants and 'Phins if I remember correctly, in 07
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:00:00 AM by London49ers »

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
Do you know if there was access for the public?

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
dont have a clue mate, but there seems like a couple of people in there that dont like like 'the press' so I wouldnt be surprised if you could just turn up there and get autographs -  at the very least if your willing to wait by the gate, you can get them there(at least thats what happens with the premier league training grounds)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2008, 05:03:49 AM »
I plan to get there a little longer before the game this year as I hope to get  some autographs this year.

Who knows? I might even get something I can use for a Patriots voodoo doll  ;)

D-roc

« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »
With all due respect good god almighty when are they going to bring our "beloved 49ers" over there for you guys across the pond? :(   

My bad.  When we start winning again.

Sing. will make that happen so if you do not live in London the book your flights! :)