Author Topic: Chalk Talk in Birmingham, UK  (Read 15557 times)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
Chalk Talk in Birmingham, UK
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:14:36 AM »
Congratulations!

You have been successful in your application to attend the NFL Chalk Talk evening at the ICC in Birmingham on Wednesday July 17.

You are invited to the event and your name has been added to the guest-list. The evening will begin promptly at 7:30 p.m and end at approximately 9:30 p.m.

The news in my inbox on Thursday. Donte Whitner, Jared Allen and Kevin Williams of the Vikings will be among the players there so I am
flying to London Wednesday morning and then head directly to Birmingham. I hope to post a few pics by next weekend when I'll be back.
Hopefully one of Whitner signing my #31 jersey  ;)

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
  • I am ALWAYS right,(except when I'm wrong).
Re: Chalk Talk in Birmingham, UK
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:07:21 AM »
Great news Grid ! Are they going to talk X's and O's or is it a celebrity signing thing or what?
Sounds exciting !
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

GET#SIX...and seven and eight and nine and ten... !!!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
It should be both!

They have held similar meetings in Leeds, Dublin and Manchester and footage from those looks awsome  :)

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:12 AM »
Give us a full report and if you can please post a bunch of pictures.
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »

Donte visiting Wembley today along with offensive lineman Uche Nwaneri of the Jaguars

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »
Good thing they didn't switch gear ;)
Success is temporary, loyalty is forever.

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
Good thing they didn't switch gear ;)
They probably DID get signed gear from each other.
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »

LOL.....They actually took a picture of me filming the event  :)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:58 AM »
http://www.nfluk.com/galleries/chalk-talk-evening-birmingham

The official Event Gallery

Just returned about an hour ago from the event and staying at the home of Paul Kadwill (London49ers) yesterday.

My initial response is disappointment  :(  Perhaps my expectations were too high but reviews from earlier meetings in Dublin and Manchester featured a lot of fan/player interaction and autograph signings. In Birmingham we were seated in an auditorium with players
on the stage and the fron row reserved for the Birmingham Lions (which I belive were the junior champions in the UK?!).

Event started on time with a joint presentation after which every player were "given the stage" individually explaining techniques, tactics etc. After each player had the session the had a 5 minute Q&A with the audience. Ramon Foster from the Steelers began, followed by Kevin Willims and Uche Nwaneri. Then Donte came on but by now apparently the schedule had slipped so he did not have a Q&A with the audience as the ONLY player because the big draw, Jared Allen, was handed the spotlight and he got his time and Q&A. In between the players sessions there was a head-to-head matchup of "finish the sentence" the final being between Whitner and Allen with Jared Allen winning by the most cheers from the crowd. Ultimately the players left the stage with a brief goodbye with the host reminding them of the 2-hour drive back to London and then security made sure you couldn't go near them  >:(

The event was funny and educational but far from what "was promised" from previous reviews and I left very disappointed  :(

I'll sort out my pictures and movie clips and hope to have the "finish the sentence sequences" up by next weekend as I am leaving for Germany shortly and will be back next Thursday.

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »
Did you have the Whitner Jersey before this event or did you buy it because of this event ?
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 01:05:58 AM »
Did you have the Whitner Jersey before this event or did you buy it because of this event ?

I bought it after seeing him knock out Pierre Thomas at the playoff game v the Saints last season  ;) in what I expect will be my last Candlestick game

Offline TANK

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »

I bought it after seeing him knock out Pierre Thomas at the playoff game v the Saints last season  ;) in what I expect will be my last Candlestick game

That is a GREAT last game to remember...one of my favorite 49ers games of all time.