Author Topic: Free Read: All new 'Dise  (Read 34571 times)

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
Free Read: All new 'Dise
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
It is with great humility and pleasure that today, January 5th 2013, I launch the next version of 49ersParadise.com. I have always strived to build a community of kaizen (continuous improvement) and that “any 49ers fan can call home”. This next step in our evolution is designed to further both of those notions, while still holding true to the roots of ‘Dise. We remain fast loading, clean code, full of all the features you have grown to love, and compliant across all operating systems, browsers, and the likes (if you notice differently let me know please!). Two years ago I sensed a transition in web development to a more touch friendly environment - and we moved 49ersParadise.com in that direction. Today, we continue to move towards a touch-based environment, but also have taken the community aspects to a whole new level. Two years from now (or sooner), I hope we look back at these changes with the same fondness.

In all honesty, this remodel was supposed to be finished at the start of this season, but working 3 jobs, and supporting a young and growing family pushed the project completion date out. I thank you for your patience as I challenged myself with new coding experiences, and advanced my understanding of what ‘Dise could be - to bring you fans the best 49ers environment possible. I am happy to be able to have been able to cram through the 49ers bye-week and get this done before our first playoff game! That being said, the secondary pages on the site still need to be updated, I am aware of this and will make the tweaks as time permits. In addition, there will be minor tweaks to clean up some of the code further to bring even faster response times. This too will take place over the coming weeks!

49ersParadise.com has taken to a tiled layout, that is the biggest cosmetic change you will notice. The tile border colors have been chosen intentionally to help you fans become comfortable with the site.

Gold - 49ersParadise.com’s Extra Point
Dark Red - 49ersParadise.com’s Forum
Black - 49ersParadise.com’s Hot Off The Press
Dark Blue - 49ersParadise.com on Facebook
Red - 49ersParadise.com on Google+
Light Blue - 49ersParadise.com on Twitter
Pink - 49ersParadise.com on Flickr

If you have not figured it out yet, this is the biggest change to the community... complete integration with the wider networks of which 49ersParadise.com is a part of. This will allow me and the staff to bring all you fans even better coverage. Expect great conversation topics on Facebook, free short articles and hangouts on Google+, and gameday and huddle conversations to take place on Twitter. Of course, continue to send your 49ers photos to gallery@49ersparadise.com to be added to our Flickr gallery. The site is now truly the centerpiece to the entire ‘Dise community, and the 49ers community at large.

I strongly recommend getting a twitter ID if you do not have one yet. This will allow you to participate in conversations that formerly took place in the Huddle, and now will follow the hashtag #4NP. A google+ ID will allow you to take part in live video chats which I hope to hold all year, especially during the games!

All of this would not be possible without all of you in this community, and all of the staff who help keep the site running smoothly. We are in our 17th season of covering the 49ers and are very proud to be the oldest 49ers fan site on the net. That would not have happened without your donations and our subscribed members. Thank you. We do need 5 new subscribers to bring the site to the break even point. If you can afford to help sustain the future of 49ersParadise.com in this way I would encourage you to do so by clicking here and following the simple instructions. As little as $3 a month can go a long way. This also helps keep advertisements on the site to a minimum. Thank you again for all of your support fans. Now let’s go get that 6th Super Bowl!
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing" - Lombardi

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
  • Even a stopped clock tells the right time 2x a day
    • HyperSolutions
Re: Free Read: All new 'Dise
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
Appreciate all your hard work Bryan. Without you and your efforts, there's be no Dise. Now I gotta go look around and see what's new!

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
Thanks Papa.  Great to see you in the Huddle.  It's going to take some getting used to for people to click the link to post.  Trying to find a way around that, but twitter doesn't want it to be so. 
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing" - Lombardi

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
  • I am ALWAYS right,(except when I'm wrong).
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
How about a regular shout box in addition to the new Twitter box ?
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

GET#SIX...and seven and eight and nine and ten... !!!

Offline commoncents

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »
Not a fan of the twitter shoutbox. I dont have twitter and don't have a need or want for it.
"I'm not sure fans can appreciate the balance of Steve Mariucci, nor will they ever." - Chris Collinsworth during the 2003 WC Playoff GM

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:33 AM »
Not a fan of the twitter shoutbox. I dont have twitter and don't have a need or want for it.
We agree again ! I want the old shout box back .
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • HyperSolutions
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:42 AM »
It's really not that big a deal guys. I don't tweet much at all and when I get bored I'll check out what's going on with the 49ers media and players but that's about it. No one is really paying attention to a bunch of fans rants.

Resistance might be futile. It's just an easier way to go for all things 49ers imo.

The thing to do is give it a try for a bit, see how it goes then give B your feedback. Shooting it down right off the bat doesn't offer much information as to what issues and concerns you encountered.

Offline commoncents

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:47:09 AM »
Other things have twitter too Tim, not just the 49ers and the Dise. I've dealt with twitter and i have no need/want for it. It's just an extra thing like facebook, myspace, google+, instagram, etc etc. It's basically forcing people to sign up for twitter (or sign in for those that have it.), just to post a few words in the (previous) shout box. You right, it isn't that big a deal, but B also said that if we had suggestions we could bring them up as well. I'm not shooting it down, I'm asking for options.
"I'm not sure fans can appreciate the balance of Steve Mariucci, nor will they ever." - Chris Collinsworth during the 2003 WC Playoff GM

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
I use Twitter to get news on the 49ers and Liverpool basically. I'm not sure I know what to use it for on the Dise to be honest?

One thing I think could be improved is that the HOTP box is now so narrow that it's hard to get an idea what the topics of the links/headlines are. Maybe that can get a little more space again?

Success is temporary, loyalty is forever.

Offline commoncents

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
Other things have twitter too Tim, not just the 49ers and the Dise. I've dealt with twitter and i have no need/want for it. It's just an extra thing like facebook, myspace, google+, instagram, etc etc. It's basically forcing people to sign up for twitter (or sign in for those that have it.), just to post a few words in the (previous) shout box. You right, it isn't that big a deal, but B also said that if we had suggestions we could bring them up as well. I'm not shooting it down, I'm asking for options.

That was to you Twins

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • HyperSolutions
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »

[/quote]

That was to you Twins

Yeah I figured but I stand by my post and of course you're welcome to ask for options.

It's still just twitter though and I'm trying to point out that it's not facebook, or anything of the sort. It's so harmless as it relates to we as mere mortals that I don't understand the seeming apprehension with it.

Also, I'm fairly active in social sphere so I'm quite familiar with it and again, I have my settings parameters set so that it's non invasive for me and it's used as a tool for me or my clients, that's it and that's that so far as I'm concerned.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:03:06 AM by twinspapa »

Offline commoncents

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:07:10 AM »

That was to you Twins

Yeah I figured but I stand by my post and of course you're welcome to ask for options.

It's still just twitter though and I'm trying to point out that it's not facebook, or anything of the sort. It's so harmless as it relates to we as mere mortals that I don't understand the seeming apprehension with it.

Also, I'm fairly active in social sphere so I'm quite familiar with it and again, I have my settings parameters set so that it's non invasive for me and it's used as a tool for me or my clients, that's it and that's that so far as I'm concerned.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess
[/quote]

I know facebook and twitter aren't the same. You're fairly active so that's why the twitter change isn't that big a deal to you. It really isn't that big a deal to me either, I just wont use the shout box anymore. You aren't taking into consideration the people who aren't on twitter. I'm active on facebook a few times a day and, very rarely, instagram, but I'm not on every thing and really don't care to sign up for something just to post a message or 2. Like hojer said, twitter is good for news but really what's the major benefit for it being here in the shout box? Either way, it is what it is and I'll roll with whatever.

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
CC:
I have had a Twitter account for a long time and am very familiar with it. I only really use it to keep up with the up to the minute news about the Niners,that is usually posted on Twitter before it is even on the beat writers blogs.
To me,the Twitter "shout box" is not something I want to use and would much rather have the old shout box back to only post things to the Paradise members and not to the World on my Twitter page.
I guess keeping it like it is at this time is one good way to stop me from using the shout box too much,lol. Smart Move PAPA and Bry ;)
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • HyperSolutions
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
Yeah we're always scheming of ways to keep you at bay Tim LOL!!

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
So,can we get the old shout box back and still keep the new twitter thing? Or is it one or the other ? And if it is one or the other should we have a vote ?
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

D-roc

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:48 AM »
I miss old shout box I do not twitter/tweet or what ever all that is.

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
Hey all... just wanted to let this conversation blow out a little... so... no decisions yet, but I am hearing a listening.

a) the HOP box will be made wider, or titles more readable.  FWIW you can now mouse over any of the headlines to read the full title.  That's new, even before the titles were cut off, but I will do something about it.

b) the shoutbox... if people are really that opposed to it, I may flip back, or offer both... or find a different solution.  The idea is to use it just like we did the old box  -  so if you aren't sure how to use it ... that's how :).  You don't need to be actively on twitter.com to use it, but if you do twitter a bunch it gives you another option to participate (Benefit 1).  It also allows over 300 regular members to participate who may not otherwise (Benefit 2). 

In any case, I'm listening, and will continue to watch this.  Nothing is set in stone.  BUT please give it a try... let's see if it makes this place better before we give it the ax.  If people need to sign up for twitter, I'm happy to help with that.  I can also help you configure your notifications so you get only the information you want.  I do know that the entire internet will be moving in this type of direction.  It will take time, but it's coming. 

So let's keep this conversation alive, and also give it a try?

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • HyperSolutions
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

PTL

D-roc

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »

PTL

What the hell is that?!

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • HyperSolutions
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
praise the lord ;)

D-roc

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
Bry:
Thanks for the upgrade of the HOP,it is much appreciated to be able to read all the titles of the articles now !
I still would like the old shoutbox back but that doesn't mean you have to scrap the new Twitter thing,let's do both .
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
roger that.

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
Happy to let you guys know that there is now a [+] in the HOP that will allow you to expand the titles and the tile.  still trying to find a happy medium on the shoutbox, but I love the added twitter functionality.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:00:37 PM by Bryan_Admin »

Offline twinspapa

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • HyperSolutions
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
The twitter box is ok but I find myself wishing the shout box was available

Offline commoncents

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

Glad you are coming around

D-roc

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

I hear that!

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
Yep,if it's a choice between the Twitter thing(that seems completely useless to me) and the old shoutbox,then I vote for the shoutbox.
If we have the room for both then IF there are any members who actually like the new twitter thing,then why not have both?
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
I'm going to make the switch back and see what I can do on the twitter integration into that... but it will take some time before it's all done...