Author Topic: A Note Regarding Today’s Issues  (Read 30354 times)

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
A Note Regarding Today’s Issues
« on: August 24, 2006, 05:52:33 PM »
Dear 49ers Paradise Faithful,
(please take a moment to read in entirety)

There are two issues I would like to address regarding circumstances surrounding 49ers Paradise.  Not coincidentally the two issues are strongly related.

Many of you probably received a SPAM personal message today, that may have also been delivered to your email address (depending on your profile preferences).  I assure you that 49ers Paradise does not send SPAM, and takes every measure to prevent such events.  So what happened?

As 49ers Paradise has grown and become more popular it has become subject to SPAM attacks.  These SPAM attacks come in a number of forms.  Sometimes, individuals or robots will send emails from an email addresses that appear to come from an @49ersparadise.cjb.net or .com address.  Other times, individuals or robots will try and post messages on the forum, or shoutbox telling people to check out a certain site.  And in this particular time, a individual or robot attained an account with 49ers Paradise and used it to send mass SPAM personal messages to all the forum members.  All of these users are banned immiediately, but unfortuantely that is a retroactive active.

These attacks lead my site host to censor my account (the second issue) until I remedied the problem and contacted them.  Actually, I managed to remedy the account before the host censored my account.  Nevertheless, the down time of about 2 hours can be attributed to this.  I have since contacted the host, and am once again in good standing with them.

I do my best to keep this site clear of SPAM, and to protect all of my users from receiving SPAM as a result of their participation in the community.  Once in a while an attack like this happens that I am unable to stop, and I do apologize for that.  Unfortunately as the site continues to grow and SPAMMERS continue to become more sophisticated – 49ers Paradise will be a target more often.  Fortunately I am up for the challenge.

In the past 3 weeks leading up to today I have implemented 3 different SPAM protection measures.  New users now have to decode a password that is supposed to minimize robot signups.  Additionally, each new member must be approved by an administrator before they can begin posting.  I also increased the time that must go by between posts to prevent anyone from posting excessively (which is the tactic SPAMMERS typically try first).  I have as of today implemented further SPAM protection that will prevent new users from sending personal messages for a certain probationary period.  In addition I will now be contacting each attempted signup before they are given permission to join the board.  Today I also applied a security patch to the forum software.  Obviously I regret having to implement such features, but I know how important it is to keep this site clear of SPAM. 

What can you do to help?  The best possible think you can do is make use of the “report to moderator” feature in the board, or send me an email with a copy of any SPAM you receive that appears to come from this site with a short not explaining the situation.  Other than that, please accept my apology, and know that I am doing everything I can to exceed your expectations for 49ers Paradise.

Thank you
Bryan
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing" - Lombardi

Offline Julie B.

• Pro Bowler
Re: A Note Regarding Today’s Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:44:26 PM »
Bry - You are awesome!! :D

Offline STLNiner

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:51:29 PM »
Thanks for all the work Bryan. Very glad to see the Dise is back up and running. I was having withdrawals this afternoon!
Touchdown 49ers!

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:12:04 AM »
Thanks for your support ... It was a tough day, and not quite over yet :)

I believe I have deleted all the PMs with the SPAM in them.  Is there anyone who can verify that I did the deleting as opposed to them (ie you logged in and could not read the SPAM message)?

Thanks
B
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing" - Lombardi

thataintright2

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 08:34:20 AM »
Thanks for your hard work Bry.  We appreciate you!

D-roc

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:22:18 AM »
I got the spam messege but it was in my email not in my pm.  Thanks for staying on top of this B appreciate it.

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 09:26:45 AM »
Thanks D... at least I was able to delete it off of here then.

D-roc

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 09:38:12 AM »
Thanks D... at least I was able to delete it off of here then.

I missed all the excitement yesterday as I was out buying books and materials for school which starts on Monday!

Offline yoda9999

• Water Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »
I don't know if I got any spam, but thanks for the heads up on the Rice retirement video!  ;D

Offline Scoots

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 01:39:04 PM »
My PM list says I have 1 message, but I have none.

My server's spam filter caught the email :)

Keep up the good work.

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »
no problem yoda

scoots can you tell me if its fixed now?

Offline Scoots

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 12:34:01 AM »
Yep, fixed.

Another thing I noticed is that after I login the first post I make gives me a "Your last post was less than 119 seconds ago"

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »
Always the first post?  What happens if you "stay logged in"?

Offline Ghosty66

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 01:04:32 PM »
My PM list says I have 1 message, but I have none.

My server's spam filter caught the email :)

Keep up the good work.

I too have this issue, but it is not really a concern to me.  I get so much spam with that email account anyway, the software does not have any filters on the user end.  Your doing an awesome job Bryan. Thank you!!
Bristol, CT: Home of ESPN (and that's about it)

Offline Julie B.

• Pro Bowler
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »
It appears you have to be logged in for longer thatn 119 seconds prior to posting anything!!

I noticed that all the messages in my in box were missing.... Lucky for me I got all the necessary address' prior to the messages going missing.

(PS games will be mailed out this week!! I've been out of town for nearly a week!!)

D-roc

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 09:40:49 PM »
It appears you have to be logged in for longer thatn 119 seconds prior to posting anything!!

I noticed that all the messages in my in box were missing.... Lucky for me I got all the necessary address' prior to the messages going missing.

(PS games will be mailed out this week!! I've been out of town for nearly a week!!)

We love you Jules thankyou! :)

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 10:22:11 AM »
... but what happens if you guys choose "stay logged in" or are you unable to do that?
Sorry about the PM's Jules, I don't know why that happened to you to be perfectly honest.

Offline DareGr8

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 12:02:24 PM »
I would guess that the 119 seconds thing has to do with how bots do spamming - pop in, spam everyone, pop out. This makes it so they can't operate that way.
"If you can't be good, be good at it."

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack at once." - Ashleigh Brilliant

Offline Julie B.

• Pro Bowler
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »
Bry - no problem on the PMs. I still have the 'saved' PMs in my out box though!!

I guess if we stay logged in 'forever'  we could post the initial post, but the subsequent ones we would have to wait...

D-roc

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 05:52:56 PM »
I would guess that the 119 seconds thing has to do with how bots do spamming - pop in, spam everyone, pop out. This makes it so they can't operate that way.

I will be very happy when that 119 is no longer an issue it is a huge pain in the arse!

Offline Scoots

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 12:14:21 PM »

I will be very happy when that 119 is no longer an issue it is a huge pain in the arse!

D, it doesn't appear to have held you back in your number of posts!  27500 posts 55000 minutes on the Dise!  I'm at 1800 minutes in the forum according to the "Total time logged in" and I think I'm on here way too often.