Author Topic: NFL International Game 2009  (Read 181508 times)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
Re: NFL International Game 2009
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
Looking forward to it, hojer  ;)

We'll see if we can meet at "The Green Man" this time around if they have a tailgate party there again?!   

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
I'm sure the tailgate at the green man will be a permanent feature, for as long as theres a game at wembley. 8)  Now I just have to wait until the 22nd to get my normal tickets and join the party with you rich blokes! ;D

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
The Green Man it is, then. Was that on gameday or the day before though?

London, you shouldn't complain, you don't even have to fly to get to the bloody game! I wish they would play a game in Copenhagen. How cool would it be if the 49ers came here!!!

It's not so much the money, by the way, it's more explaining it to my wife after I more or less promised I wouldn't go again this year  ::)  ::)

Success is temporary, loyalty is forever.

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
haha good luck with that one mate!  I think when it comes to game tickets, its best to buy them first and just put up with the ear ache for a bit! lol
The green man party is on the day of the game, although this year it started on saturday arvo, but with the main stuff on the sunday - you can even stay at the pub in the hotel bit, but not sure if that'd be fully booked already - would be a  great way to start the weekend though - roll out of bed, down the stairs and straight into the best pre-game drinking place there is!

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:26 AM »
haha good luck with that one mate! I think when it comes to game tickets, its best to buy them first and just put up with the ear ache for a bit! lol

That's what I normally do as well. This time it kind of backfired though. When I told her last night she just said: "Fine honey, no problem but then I'm going with my girlfriend to Paris for an extended week-end"  so now my Wembley trip became at least twice as expensive as planned :P

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
haha good luck with that one mate! I think when it comes to game tickets, its best to buy them first and just put up with the ear ache for a bit! lol

That's what I normally do as well. This time it kind of backfired though. When I told her last night she just said: "Fine honey, no problem but then I'm going with my girlfriend to Paris for an extended week-end"  so now my Wembley trip became at least twice as expensive as planned :P

;D ;D ;D

D-roc

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »

;D ;D ;D

:o :o :o ??? ;) :P ::)

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »
C.F. Frost. Is that you D?

And, can you show us the other side of that Card please?   :D :o

D-roc

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
C.F. Frost. Is that you D?

And, can you show us the other side of that Card please?   :D :o

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:19 AM »
I'll take that as a YES...

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 05:22:05 AM »
tickets go on sale today at 10am UK time - everyone who registered gets a passcode and has a shot at getting tix - if anyone forgot or wasnt able to register, and wants tickets, PM me as I have a spare passcode :)
Just got tickets :)  Block 532, row 14 - went for the upper corner ones again (although these are right next to the upper sideline tickets which are £20 more!) as it gives a great view and a kind of mix between endzone view (ala Madden games) and sideline (TV view).  Bring it on!

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 07:06:32 AM »
I was logged in and ready at 9.50am this morning!  Got mine at 10.05am!  6 tickets upper endzone Block 539, Row 22.

Game on!!   Now I just to decide who to support.....

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »
nice on Scottish! :)  I'm definitely rooting for the Bucs (its a shame they didnt play earlier - would've loved to have seen Mike Alstott play - he was one of my favourite players for years!), cant stand the Pats!  Its good as they've got a lot of people in the UK into football, but they're a bit like Man Utd fans of the 90s and beyond, whereby a lot of them are just glory hunters!  but it'll be nice to wind them all up when the bucs beat them in october ;) lol

BTW - my part has 1 spare ticket to the game now (block 532, row 14) - if anyone would like it, or knows someone that would, please contact me - obviously we'll only be charging the face value of the ticket plus the usual charges Ticketmaster make as a service charge and for secure postage, so the total for the ticket is £60.77 (i'm sure we can call it an even 60 though ;) lol)  PM me if anyones interested!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:49:58 AM by London49ers »

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
Only thing that could stop me from rooting for the Bucs is if they look to be a contender for a 49ers playoff spot  ;)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »
good point grid, but I'm sure next season we'll win the Division so we wont need wo worry about wildcards ;)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »
I am glad you and Scottish managed to pick up tickets  :)

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »
Cheers Grid.  I was determined to get them, no work got done and the phone was ignored until I'd had the confirmation email!!

Supporting the Bucs makes sense, I usually cheer for the NFC team in the Superbowl.  But hopefully we'll be seeing lots of 9er jerseys all over the stadium again.  I'm also going to make sure we travel down the day before, and we can arrange a bit of a 'dise get together.   8)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:06:23 PM by gridiron49 »

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »
cool :)  well the unofficial tailgate party at the Green Man is going ahead again (as far as I can tell), so that might be the place to meet up again on the Sunday :)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 03:08:55 PM »
I considered staying over at the Green Man but the location is not ideal for a longer stay imo  ;) 

But I am looking forward to get meet up (with a little more participants)  ;) again!

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 05:09:39 AM »
Only thing that could stop me from rooting for the Bucs is if they look to be a contender for a 49ers playoff spot ;)

There is nothing, NOTHING!, that will ever, EVER! make me root for the Patriots.  >:(

I will have a really hard time to control myself if we end up in a Patriots crowd at Wembley. Hopefully you guys will come to my aid if it get's out of control??  :D

I actually tried to get rooms at the Green Man but they're already fully booked for that week-end! It still sounds like a good place to meet, though. I will be there this time, Grid, I promise!  :)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
I'll hold you to it, hojer  8)  Better weather than last year would be nice though  ;)

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
Better weather than last year would be nice though  ;)

London in late autumn?  Don't get your hopes up Grid!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 06:10:04 PM »
Better weather than last year would be nice though  ;)

London in late autumn?  Don't get your hopes up Grid!

Not asking for sunshine and 20 degrees but just hold back on the rain so the lawn in front of the Green Man isn't as soggy as last year  :)

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »
Not asking for sunshine and 20 degrees but just hold back on the rain so the lawn in front of the Green Man isn't as soggy as last year :)

Ahh, so you just want it to stay dry?  That's a little bit more possible!   ;D

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »
LAst year I think we actually had unusually warm weather for a week or so before, and it was dry, then the weekend of the game the heavens opened up!  why they didnt build a moveable rof on Wembley when they rebuilt it, is a mystery to me!  cardiff has that, so you have the option of a normal stadia, or an enclosed one, so why not wembley?!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
The weather was good all the way up to the day of the game. It would just have been fun to join the barbecue outside at the Green Man instead of avoiding the rain inside  ;)

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »
Looks like we could be headed to London a lot more often in years to come:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/7856008.stm

London NFL Franchise?

' And Mark Waller, NFL head of sales and marketing, said: "The commissioner and I have talked about 10 years so that's mentally how we're framing it." '

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »
London Monarchs revisited  ;)

It is not the first time it is mentioned as a possibility and the huge crowds at the Wembley games are probably also pulling in the right direction but I still have a hard time seing it happen. I am sure teams bound to end in the same division as a European-based team would complain about travel time and other disadvantages..... :-\

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2009, 04:43:36 AM »
I'd love to see it happen, but I just cant see it - logistically it'd be impossible, the only way US teams could play here would be if they had their bye week straight after (like in the International game), and seeing as the bye weeks end half way through the season, itsjust not going to happen....unless the London team plays all of its away games in the second half of the season, which would be ridiculous!!  I'd still like to see NFL Eurpoe come back sometime, and i think if interest is sustained in the NFL over here, thye'd consider it as I know a lot of clubs and players from the NFL appreciated what the European league did for fringe players.
Resurrecting the MOnarchs would be great, it'd bring back a lot of memories, like my 15th birthday seeing them beat the scottish claymores at White Hart Lane (home to Spurs!).  I've still got my MOnarchs jerseys too, so I could dust them off oncemore!

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
It would be difficult, but not impossible.  After all the flight time from New York to London is about 7 hours.  The flight time from New York to San Francisco is about 6 and half hours.  So it's a length of journey teams are already having to make, and they don't get a bye week afterwards.  The trouble would come for west coast or mid west teams travelling to London.  And for the other part of the season, I'd imagine they'd schedule it so that the London team had two four-week long road-trips or something like that.

And who knows, maybe London won't be the only expansion team?  If there was a team in Germany as well, that would make a two-week stopover more appealing for the US teams...

And by the way London:

Monarchs?  Boo!  Claymores?  Yay!     :-*

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
Monarchs?  Boo!  Claymores?  Yay!     :-*

LOL  ;D

I watched the Claymores once against the Barcelona Dragons. Personally I would rather go to Barcelona although the journey is much longer  ;)

NFL eyes second overseas game
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4161427

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- After seeing fans jam London's Wembley Stadium to watch the NFL the past two years, the league is considering adding a second regular-season game overseas in time for the 2010 season.

8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:04:38 PM by gridiron49 »

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »
Would be great.  :D  But also very expensive :(

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
Would be great.  :D  But also very expensive :(

Not as expensive as going across "the pond"

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »
I guess not but I'm actually going there this summer. Somehow my wife convinced me to go to California in the football off season :(

I'm still a little surprised how she managed to pull that off?

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 04:37:59 AM »
I guess not but I'm actually going there this summer. Somehow my wife convinced me to go to California in the football off season :(

I'm still a little surprised how she managed to pull that off?

....in the OFF SEASON....??!  :o

I am still negotiating with my wife on my intentions to go see the 2 home games in early November (Tennessee and Chicago).