Author Topic: NFL International Game 2009  (Read 181502 times)

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
Re: NFL International Game 2009
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
...and who can blame you?  ;D
Success is temporary, loyalty is forever.

D-roc

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »
There is a lot of NFL fans outside the US such as Canada, Mexico and even the UK. Can you envision there being a team outside the US in the next 10 years? If so, an expansion or relocation maybe?

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com
I think we might have both, but first we'll start with relocation. I could see the Jacksonville Jaguars in London. Keep an eye on teams that do not sell out and are followed by blackouts in their local communities. I don't think it's farfetched, to a team go north of the border to Canada. We are already seeing a little bit of that with the Bills playing games in Toronto. When teams go to foreign markets and they see there is popularity to sell out eight home games, owners are going to think long and hard about looking east, west, north and south. The problem with expansion, is that it would have to be more than one place.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/422

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
would be interesting, and I'd go watch them but they'd never replace my Niners.  My biggest concern would be the time difference and the affects on the team - not just the away team coming over here (and having to have a week off after, but on the London team having to fly internationally - I mean, how would that actually work?!  I say they leave it to continue to grow for a few more years, until the fan base is at fever pitch, and bring back NFL Europe, or even better, make each european team a farm/feeder club in europe for each NFL team (or 2 or 3 per EU team - basically so that as a Niner fan, i can support an EU team that has all of our up and coming players on it - outside of the PS - rather than having them dotted around the entire continent)

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »
bring back NFL Europe, or even better, make each european team a farm/feeder club in europe for each NFL team (or 2 or 3 per EU team - basically so that as a Niner fan, i can support an EU team that has all of our up and coming players on it - outside of the PS - rather than having them dotted around the entire continent)

Nice idea, I like it.  Why not have eight teams, each one is a feeder for a division (i.e. NFC West)?  I'd imagine it'd also help the NFL to develop young or minority coaches as well...

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Personally, I think the Copenhagen 49ers has a nice ring to it!

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2009, 10:58:38 AM »
Slightly off topic but how are you European guys this year with your NFL coverage? 
Sky just signed a new deal and it leaves us with less coverage :(
Last year - 2 early games and Sunday night game on Sky Sports + 'red button' alternative games, MNF, Thursday/Saturday games etc all on Sky
This year - 2 early games, no red button games on Sky, sunday night game on channel 5, but no MNF at all!  ESPN bought the rights but will only show it in the EU, not the UK!
we do get BBR Radio 5 live covering games on sundays now though - Niners Cards this weekend, so if Justin TV fails, I'll be glued to my radio!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »
We are being spoiled, London  ;)

We begin tonight with the Steelers

Sunday we get;
Jaguars at Colts (TV2 Sport)
49ers at Cardinals (TV3+)   8) followed by a review of the Redskins at Giants before
Bears at Packers (TV3+)

MNF
Bills at Patriots (TV2 Sport)
Chargers at Raiders (TV2 Sport)

3 Sunday games, MNF and the occasional Thursday games!   Fancy a move to Denmark?  ;)   

49ers are on again in week 3 when we hopefully beat up Favre

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2009, 04:15:49 AM »
damn, I'm envious Grid!  I'll obviously be watching every game that they show over here, but it sucks that our team are hardly ever on, and I cant even guarantee to see our  MNF appearence anymore!  Game pass is great but I really cant afford that this year (especially as my combined Sky package - inc sky sports - and ESPN cost me over £50 a month anyway!), so it'll be justin tv all the way for my Niner games, and failing that, sat radio or BBS Radio 5 live if they have our games on.
Sky seem to pick shoddy games quite a bit too - I mean Minnesota - Cleveland as the opener this weekend, purely because of Favre being there!  Hardly a must see game, and then a couple of weeks later they have TB vs the Bills - I knw they're doing that so TB get more exposure (As they're a wembley bound team of course), but really?!  2 teams who are both in freefall at the moment, as one of only 2 games being shown that weekend?!

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
The only problem is that the commentators - especially on TV3+ - are so awful that they can singlehandedly spoil a perfectly good game of Football. I'm sticking with Game Pass HD again this year, which now also includes NFL Network 24/7.

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »
Couldn't afford Game Pass this season, (unemployment sucks), but I've gone with Field Pass again, so me and my headphones will be tuning in every sunday night!!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
I'll be staying at the Rose Court Hotel near Paddington Underground from Friday Oct23 to Monday Oct 26 in a group of 4. If anybody is in the neighbourhood and wants to meet over a pint before before the Green Man gathering on Sunday just holler   ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just received my 4 tickets for the game today. Along with the letter came a merchandise brochure with various merchandise being available at the game.

I felt sick when I read the 49ers jersey for sale will be #15  :P :-X >:(   Disgraceful

D-roc

« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »
I'll be staying at the Rose Court Hotel near Paddington Underground from Friday Oct23 to Monday Oct 26 in a group of 4. If anybody is in the neighbourhood and wants to meet over a pint before before the Green Man gathering on Sunday just holler   ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just received my 4 tickets for the game today. Along with the letter came a merchandise brochure with various merchandise being available at the game.

I felt sick when I read the 49ers jersey for sale will be #15  :P :-X >:(   Disgraceful

That really is sad.  What a joke.....

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2009, 05:28:16 PM »
if its another cold, wet game I might purchase one to have it slowly burning by my feet whilst I'm up with the gods on the fifth tier of Wembley! lol
Fingers crossed I'll receive my tickets soon...

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2009, 03:22:47 AM »
No need to bring one, London. You can get mine  ;)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30:10 AM »
you mean you havent sacrificed that one to the football gods already Grid?...lol

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »
After reading this I was hoping to come home and find my tickets waiting.....but no such luck.   :'(

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
you mean you havent sacrificed that one to the football gods already Grid?...lol

Burning Favre Gear For Charity
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4519543&categoryid=2459789

Like this?  ;)

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »

Do you think it would appease the Football Gods to offer them as pennance a Craptree jersey? I seriously doubt it!

We got our tickets today too  :)

D-roc

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

Burning Favre Gear For Charity
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4519543&categoryid=2459789

Like this?  ;)

I think you should do the same with your CASH-TREE jersey! :( 

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »
I guess with the development today I'll have to hold on to it a little longer  ;)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
haha, yeah I think you should wear #15 to Wembley now Grid, especially as his first game could well be on the same day as the wembley outing!

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
I agree, London. It'll give us an easy target to pick on at the Green Man  ;D

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
Depending on the development the coming fortnight I expect to bring it to London and if he is expected to play you'll get "your target"  ;)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »
top man Grid!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
I just received my tickets for the mid-november games against the Titans and Bears  8)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
I'm envious Grid (although hopefully we wont be as woeful as we were at the weekend!)

http://www.nfluk.com/news/wembley-entertainment-announced_131009.html

Announced the pregame entertainment - Calvin Harris (not sure if any of yuo guys would know him?  Nothing great I'm afraid, just a dance/pop star over here)

Katherine Jenkins is performing the national anthem (that'll keep my dad happy, he loves her!), but no announcement as to who will perform the US anthem.

Offline ScottishNiner

• Starter
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »
My game and tailgate tickets have arrived!!   8)

I'll be flying down a week tomorrow.  Looking forward to catching up with some fellow 'Dise fans.

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2009, 05:19:43 AM »
cool, yeah mine turned up the other day too!  Will be good to meet up with everyone for a pint at the Green man!  Cant believe its come around again so quickly!

BTW, info on the Great British Tailgate Party at the Green Man pub (where we'll meet) can be found here http://www.gbtp.co.uk/  alongside photos from previous years and other information, so you can see where its located and how big a crowd it pulls (and its still growing!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:09:20 AM by London49ers »

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »
EVENTS

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleaders will do a retail tour giving fans
a chance to meet and greet or get in the photo with your favourite
girl(s). Come see the cheerleaders in Foot Locker or the Official NFL
Store at 1:00pm.

Former NFL kicker Morten Andersen is visiting Foot Locker at around 2pm.
He will be there for an exclusive interview with BBC commentator, Arlo
White. The Danish kicker will take questions from the crowd, so take the
opportunity and come over to Foot Locker.

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2009, 03:13:42 AM »
I take it thats on the sunday grid?  Or is it the saturday?  Either way, are you going so you can meet your danish legend?!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/21/dignitaries-descend-on-london-for-pre-game-events/ - 49ers owner JJohn York in London to attend a global sports summit on Friday..........
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:53:21 PM by London49ers »

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »
I take it thats on the sunday grid?  Or is it the saturday?  Either way, are you going so you can meet your danish legend?!

We are discussing the idea in the group. Several of us have already met him before  ;) but it should be fun!  It will depend on when people expect to meet at the Green Man and the time to travel from Footlocker....  :-\

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
ok, cool.  I'm meeting up with my friends at Kings Cross station at 12pm, and we're heading straight to the official tailgate party (as tickets only guarantee us entrey if we get there before 1pm), so we'll get there arouond 12:45, stay until about 2:30 so we should be at the Green man around 2:45pm.  We'll stay there for about an hour before heading back down to wembley to find our seats, get some food, programmes etc.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am set to arrive in London (group of 4) Friday afternoon. I expect we'll go to Footlocker on Sunday (mentioned previously in the thread) to meet OUR national hero - Morten Andersen -  and see the cheerleaders before heading to the Green Man. Our arrival there will depend on the time of the transportation from Footlocker but it should be no later than 3 pm.

I'll be wearing #15   and be going with a Gurls fan, a Broncos fan and a Bucs fan (although the latter is wavering in his support this year  ;))

My name is Kim and my cell is +45 24 66 36 49

Hope the weather forecast holds (Saturday says heavy rain  :()

Offline hojer49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2009, 04:58:43 AM »
Where is that Foot Locker store?

I'll be at the Green Man around 3 I think? If you spot a very athletic- and handsome looking guy with a no. 21 jersey and the spitting image of Frank Gore it's definitely not me...  :)

But I will be wearing my # 21 just the same  ;)  and I'm travelling with my brother who has never been able to figure out which team he likes the most and just "loves the game" bla. bla. bla.

Se ya!

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:49 AM »
the foot locker is up in the main shopping area of London Hojer - IIRC its about a 5 minute walk from Bond Street station (out the station and turn left IIRC) - I went there last year and the merch was pretty poor, but if theres cheerleaders and an NFL leg-end there, then who cares about the merch!

BTW Grid, I'd make sure you give yourself a bit more time to get to wembley from there, than what TFL/googlemaps says, as obviously that'll be in the middle of 'peak time' when most fans will be arriving, so the trains will probably be extra crammed in the afternoon.
fingers crossed we can all get there ok and meet up before the game!