Author Topic: NFL at Wembley, Oct 26, 2008  (Read 184526 times)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
NFL at Wembley, Oct 26, 2008
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:51:47 AM »
Report: Chargers, Saints to meet in London on Oct. 26

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3217426

Saints @ Chargers in London....who's going?

Offline London49ers

• Starter
Re: NFL at Wembley, Oct 26, 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:17:42 AM »
I'll definitely be there, as I was last year!  It'll be a couple of weeks after I return from the US, so it'll be a nice rememdy for my post trip blues.
I'm surprised that Wembly will be chosen again, my bet was with Cardiff as it has a much better pitch (they play rugby on it all the time) and a roof that an be closed.
Maybe they chose SD and the Saints because of LT and Reggie Bush?  if the weather (and pitch) is as bad as last year, at least they'll have two great backs to move the ball down the field (assuming Bush remains fit until then).
Now we just have to wait to see how they sell the tickets to the 500,000+ people who;ll want them - theres been a bit of complaining going on at the NFL UK forums about last year, but I thought the way they did it (you register interest, then if  yoour randomly picked you get a ticketmaster password, and then its up to you to be online when they're on sale, to get them) last year worked really well.....but thats maybe because I was lucky enough to get a couple ;) lol
Kim - we'll have to meet up before the game mate, I'll buy you a pint and we can talk about our impressive start to the 08 season (hopefully)!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:16:48 AM »
I am sure the succes from last year had a major impact on the re-election but accessability to the mainland European fan probably was a key factor as well. I think they'll stick with the ticket system from last year  :-\

Kim - we'll have to meet up before the game mate, I'll buy you a pint and we can talk about our impressive start to the 08 season (hopefully)!
Done. I expect to travel with the same "crowd" I did last year which was with a Cowboys, a Bucs and a Broncos fan.

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Done. I expect to travel with the same "crowd" I did last year which was with a Cowboys, a Bucs and a Broncos fan.
[/quote]
cool, I'll be travelling (Assuming we get tickets) with a Packers fan, a Giants and a Seahawks fan.  Wembley suits me more than anywhere else as its only a 45 minute train journey away, although if they did go to Wales, Cardiffs a nice place too and the stadiums great.....just not as amazing as the new Wembley - was suitably impressed with it at last years game, it was the first time I'd been to the new one.
I'm assuming they'll announce about tickets sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I'll keep an eye on NFL UK and post an update here when I find out, for anyone else who may be interested...

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »
Last year the 4 of us signed up for tickets but settled for some really good ones through ebay. I guess we'll go for the same procedure this time around.....

Do you know if there was a special ticket sale for the tailgate?

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »
yeah, there was another draw for the tailgate - sadly I didnt get any (i think the max was 2000 people or something), but we went to the Colchester Gladiators party which was held at a huge pub on top of the hill overlooking the stadium - it has merch tents, food and obviously lots of booze and cheerleaders!  sadly only the Brit ones (not the Dolphins ones!), but it brightened up a damp day!
The official tailgate was limited as theres no public parking at Wembley (its a desingated public transport only venue), and I think they just held it 'round the back' of the stadium.
yeah, I was lucky to get tickets last year, but they werent that extortionate on Ebay, so if I fail this year, I'll be heading straight to there!  I paid £65 for mine last year, which as you know was in level one, in the corner, right next to the tunnel (in fact, my seat was the top left corner of the Y in Wembley thats printed on the seats in that end zone) - this year I may try to get the top priced ones to see where they'll seat me, although to be honest I was really happy with my seats last year!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
I don't remember what we paid for the 4 tickets but the face value was £ 65 each. We found some excellent company at a pub nearby but I just felt like the guys I travelled with should ahve experienced a tailgate party since it was their 1st live game  :-\

D-roc

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
Report: Chargers, Saints to meet in London on Oct. 26

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3217426

Saints @ Chargers in London....who's going?

You plan to attend once again Grid.?

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:18:35 AM »
Wouldn't miss it for the world  ;) 

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »
registry for it on NFL UK opens at 6:30pm GMT tonight!  Woo hoo!

D-roc

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »
Wouldn't miss it for the world  ;) 

That is really great Grid. I hope your plans to attend work out.

BTW I still have not received the pictures from your trip to SF.  :(  Thinking it got lost.... :(

PM me asap and we can make other arraingments to get them posted on here.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »
I have contacted the post office to see if they can backtrace the "package" I mailed. I don't have high hopes of it though so my friends will mail another CD-rom to me which I will get to you asap  :)

D-roc

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 01:33:23 PM »
I have contacted the post office to see if they can backtrace the "package" I mailed. I don't have high hopes of it though so my friends will mail another CD-rom to me which I will get to you asap  :)

I know it is expensive as hell but maybe next time send it certified return receipt? 

It would have been here by now & is obviously lost. :(  Hopefully we have better luck next time and I can get those pics up asap. I really want to see them! :)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:11:50 AM »
It would have been here by now & is obviously lost. :(  Hopefully we have better luck next time and I can get those pics up asap. I really want to see them! :)
Next "shipment" goes out today. Keep your fingers crossed  ;)

D-roc

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
Next "shipment" goes out today. Keep your fingers crossed  ;)

I will keep an eye out for it and let you know.

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:46 AM »
London gets a visit from the NFL for a further 3 years  ;D

D-roc

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »

I know you will be there, I really hope on one of those visits you get to enjoy our 49ers bro.! :)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 01:34:32 PM »

I know you will be there, I really hope on one of those visits you get to enjoy our 49ers bro.! :)
Me too  :D 

I have learned there will be another possibility to get close to our 9ers. One of the Scandinavian TV networks arranges 4 trips the following season the NFL games. One of their destinations is SF. This year the similar tours had access to training sessions with the teams. If I can make the amount nescessary in any way this would be awsome....

Otherwise I'll settle for the fact that with the continued increasing interest these tours will probably increase in both number and variations leaving options for future years  8)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »
it seems the NFLs setting trends again - obviously the NHL and NBA were over here last year too, but now the FA Premier League (The highest league in English soccer) is investigating into playing competitive matches abroad, as from 2010 - looks like it may be around 10 extra games a season, in 5 places worlwide in the month of January......

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »
it seems the NFLs setting trends again - obviously the NHL and NBA were over here last year too, but now the FA Premier League (The highest league in English soccer) is investigating into playing competitive matches abroad, as from 2010 - looks like it may be around 10 extra games a season, in 5 places worlwide in the month of January......

Will they expand the number of games during the season or will it be out the the number of games being played now?

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 01:48:28 PM »
apparently it'll be expanding on the number of games in the season, and having a ranking system for the top 5 so they dont have to play eachother during the extra games.......I think...it sounds more complicated than just picking one game to be played overseas!  theres more info on the BBC sport website I believe

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
apparently it'll be expanding on the number of games in the season, and having a ranking system for the top 5 so they dont have to play eachother during the extra games.......I think...it sounds more complicated than just picking one game to be played overseas!  theres more info on the BBC sport website I believe
I just seemed to remember complaints about the season being too long and hard already. I can understand the reasons for trying to appeal to more people creating even bigger cash flow but this seems a bit "risky" creating more injuries to players.

My focus will still be on the 9ers either way though  ;)

Offline London49ers

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
yeah, theres already loads of fans complaining, but thats just us English for you! lol  same here, niners are my first love (although I am a diehard spurs fan too, but only through them being my family team - we come from right next to White Hart Lane) - in fact, I was at Wembley last night for the England game, and spent the whole first half, and most of the second talking about NFL with my best mate!  but then, it ws a dire match, but even so, is continuing to lose its passion in me, whereas my love of gridiron never waivers!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
A Spurs fan  ::)  I didn't think they existed anymore....  I followed Liverpool before I "discovered" the NFL (begin the ridicule  ;) )

Offline Bryan_Admin

• Administrator
  • Super Bowl MVP
    • 49ers Paradise
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
Can everyone cross their fingers and hope that the Buffalo vs 49ers game is played in Toronto?
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing" - Lombardi

Offline TIM

• Super Bowl MVP
  • I am ALWAYS right,(except when I'm wrong).
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 01:29:53 AM »
Can everyone cross their fingers and hope that the Buffalo vs 49ers game is played in Toronto?

Bry : Has there been talk up there that they may play that game in Toronto ? That would be GREAT for you !!! Too bad it's not the 49ers and the Bengals in Toronto,that would be perfect for you and your Brother !
( JMHO )

JOE MONTANA IS
lord of The Rings.

GET#SIX...and seven and eight and nine and ten... !!!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
I don't know how serious it is but apparently NFL representatives have been to Denmark concerning the possibility of having a game played here. They have been negotiating with the management at our national stadium.

Having Morten Andersen in the NFL has more useful purposes for the danes...  ;D

One of the guys I travelled with last year has just been informed he has "won" in the lottery for this year's tickets and he can book VIP seats  8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:30:59 PM by gridiron49 »

D-roc

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 03:57:14 PM »
I don't know how serious it is but apparently NFL representatives have been to Denmark concerning the possibility of having a game played here. They have been negotiating with the management at our national stadium.

Having Morten Andersen in the NFL has more useful purposes for the danes...  ;D

One of the guys I travelled with last year has just been informed he has "won" in the lottery for this year's tickets and he can book VIP seats  8)

Very cool Grid. make that fool hook you up! :)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 04:07:58 PM »

We already have  :) Prizes are significantly higher at £125 but with special access, tailgate, food & drinks included etc.

D-roc

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 04:15:19 PM »

We already have  :) Prizes are significantly higher at £125 but with special access, tailgate, food & drinks included etc.

Your my boy & everything but I hate you and want to come on that trip! ;)

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 04:17:45 PM »
You'll just have to stay home with your studies and wait for the programmes I send you  ;D

D-roc

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
You'll just have to stay home with your studies and wait for the programmes I send you  ;D

Studies are DONE in 6 weeks baby, I might be out West if I land the job I want with Home-Land Security!  Just glad that you got so lucky you crazy mother.........

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »

Studies are DONE in 6 weeks baby, I might be out West if I land the job I want with Home-Land Security!  Just glad that you got so lucky you crazy mother.........
Good for you.

You know I will hook you up for a program either way. Who knows? There might even be a cheerleader pic for you too  ;)

D-roc

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
 8) 8) 8) Thankyou my man!

Offline gridiron49

• Super Bowl MVP
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 06:21:54 PM »
8) 8) 8) Thankyou my man!
My pleasure  ;)

If you want to get hooked up with programs you might want to try London49er. He is taking the grand US tour this year with several games on the menu  :o

Other than the London game I am saving up for next year.